What is self-care and why should you do it? Self-care is crucial in our lives and it’s usually the first thing neglected when our schedules get busy.
Self-care is anything you do that puts you in a positive place physically, emotionally and/ or spiritually. It is an intentional act of loving yourself.
Self-care Is Good Mental Hygiene.
Self-care allows us to be the best “me” possible. It allows each of us to thrive even in the midst of a hectic schedule.
Additionally, you are not the only person that will benefit from a regime of self-care. Read why self-care is THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR FAMILY.
The first basic rule of self-care: Unplug.
I’ve seen lists all over that tout “binge watching Netflix” as self-care. I tend to disagree with this suggestion. We all know too much screen time is bad for our children so wouldn’t this apply to ourselves as well? Take time out for yourself and unplug from electronic distraction.
One exception to the “NO screen-time” rule on this list is to go see a movie. The act of going to a movie theater to see a movie is a very relaxing ritual (and a treat) for a lot of people. If you are one of them- than this could be a really good act of self-care for you.
This is a comprehensive list. It includes some things that are quick, easy and free. It also includes things that require time and money. Different acts will work better on different days.
Your job is to figure out what which ones actually nourish your soul. Read through the list and see what speaks to you. Some will sound great and others will totally turn you off.
I love doing yard work and pulling weeds is a favorite of mine. However, baking and cleaning are simply the last things I would do if I am trying to show myself love and compassion. I know plenty of bakers out there that simply relax and unwind in the kitchen. I also know people who HATE pulling weeds or anything do with yard work. Different strokes for different folks.
Second rule of self-care: Enjoy without GUILT.
How can you create feelings of calm, peace and happiness with guilt? Thats right- you can’t! This is hard for people did not have self-care modeled by adults when growing up. Just keep going- you will get there!
Read through the following list and find what fits your soul!
92 Acts of Self-care
- Write a bucket list
- Write out goals
- Practice gratitude
- Practice affirmations
- Practice mindfulness
- Read self-improvement/ inspirational/ motivational book
- Catch up on your magazines
- Create a vision board
- Drink glass of hot tea/ coffee
- Detox your body in any of the 28 ways described
- Hire a trainer
- Take a walk
- Ride a bike
- Do yoga
- Sit in steam room/ sauna/ hot tub
- Play with a pet (read about the health benefits of pet ownership)
- Spend time outside
- Garden (read about the health benefits of gardening)
- Plant flowers outside
- Pull weeds
- Put together an indoor floral arrangement
- Use aromatherapy (essential oils, incense, candles)
- Smudge yourself
- Smudge your home
- Smudge your office
- Create a sacred space or personal altar
- Take a bath
- Apply lotion to your hands and feet (legs/ arms)
- Get a massage
- Get a manicure
- Get a pedicure
- Get your haircut
- Get your hair colored
- Get a blowout
- Get a makeover
- Buy new makeup
- Get a facial
- Buy new skin products
- Go to a spa
- Get reflexology
- Get accupuncture
- Get reiki
- Work with crystals
- Try chanting
- Sound healing
- Take a nap
- Sit in contemplation
- Play a sport you enjoy
- Take a class
- Do a puzzle
- Take photographs
- Look through old photo albums
- Go to a movie
- Go to a museum
- Go to an art gallery
- Go to a library
- Take a drive- roll the windows down and turn the radio up
- Go out to eat by yourself (eat mindfully and enjoy not having to clean up)
- Go out to eat with a friend
- See a therapist (yes I have one and it’s nothing to be embarrassed about- we all have issues we must deal with in this life- whether you have figured yours out yet or not)
- Prepare healthy food (think green smoothie)
- Take vitamins/ supplements
- Bake you favorite treats
- Cook a lavish meal and get out the china
- Put on music and sing
- Put on music and dance
- Play an instrument
- Go on a stay-cation
- Go on a vacation
- Go on a retreat
- Go on a girls trip
- Hire someone to clean the house
- Order your groceries online
- Order takeout for dinner (perfect if you have had a hurried day without any time for self-care)
- Re-arrange furniture
- Go to bed 1/2 hour earlier
So which ones are you going to add to your daily routine first?